What type of bagpipes do you play?
The main instrument I play is the Great Highland Bagpipes. I also play the Scottish Smallpipes. The Smallpipes can be great for playing indoors or with other instruments or on stage in front of a mic since they are not too loud. For a completely different performance, I play the Uilleann Pipes.
What do you wear to an event?
I always wear a kilt and highland attire. I usually just dress in slacks and a collared shirt for jobs asking for the Uilleann Pipes.
What are some good ideas for piping a wedding?
Usually I tell my customers that I will do whatever they wish during a wedding set up, but when asked what I think would be good, I usually input things such as:
- Piping outside or inside before the wedding
- Piping while the guests are seated
- Piping in the bride
- Walking in front or behind the bride and groom as they exit together as husband and wife
- Piping as the bride and groom drive away together
- Piping during the reception, or even playing something romantic for the bride and groom’s first dance
What are some good ideas for a funeral?
- Piping near the gravesite as guests arrive or as the casket is being escorted
- Playing before or after the eulogy
- Playing a hymn or any other tune for the family and friends to sing along to
- Playing and slowly walking off into the distance, making the melodies fade off at the end of a service
Is it difficult to learn how to play the bagpipes?
It is very difficult and takes quite a bit of patience and focus to learn.
How much does a bagpipe cost?
It usually depends on what it is made of and who made it. They can be anywhere from $800 to $10,000.
What do you charge?
I have a set rate for the DFW area since it is local. I charge my set rate, plus gas and distance to perform anywhere else.